Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"Is School Enough"

"Is School Enough"

The characters that were most impressive were the students toward the beginning of the film that took great interest in the technology program. This was the most interesting to me because they took the program that had already been created, and made it into their own. They did this so much so that they were able to present to a board of adults while articulating each part of the software. These students took charge of their own learning, and they were able to motivate themselves as well as others to do the same. These students are strong advocates for the software!
I do consider myself a 21st century learner solely because of the amount of time I spend using technology. It has become nearly impossible to complete assignments from any subject in school without the use of technology. However, I do not think I am a 21st century learner because I do not feel that I have complete control over the things I learn. Throughout grade school, I had no control over the curriculum I was required to learn due to state standards. Therefore, I memorized a lot just for the good grade, but I did not soak in the material. In this aspect, I did not have much in common with the kids from the video, except having the drive to learn what will benefit me in the future. However, as a college student with a declared major, I do have some control over the things I learn. I make my own schedule and I only take classes that pertain to the major I have chosen, which is Middle School Education.
As a future teacher, I plan to let the students be more hands-on in their learning. For example, I assume that most of them would rather watch more educational videos than listen to me lecture new material. I will be sure to add videos appropriately in certain parts of class time.
Technology was a huge part of the characters' lives. Without it, they wouldn't have been able to complete projects as efficiently.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree that there needs to be more ownership of education and children shouldn't just be bred to memorize material long enough for standardized testing! We have the same thought that education needs to change, but different ways of going about it.

    ReplyDelete